- BEST-SELLING AUTHOR MATTHEW FOX—For the start of a new “school year,” our first major author interview welcomes world-famous inspirational author Matthew Fox. If you’ve never heard the name “Meister Eckhart” before, then you’re in for a treat. Over the past 30 years, Matthew Fox has lived through turbulent changes in the Catholic church. But, today, his strong support of classic Catholic mystics, including Eckhart, is providing deep wisdom for our weary world. Whatever your faith may be, you’ll enjoy this fascinating connect-the-dots interview with Matt Fox!
- INTERFAITH PEACEMAKERS—Matt Fox himself is what we call an Interfaith Peacemaker, so this week we are publishing a special issue of our Interfaith Peacemakers featuring inspiring profiles of heroes who alsoappear in Matt Fox’s writing, including …
ALLIES AT SCHOOL:
‘BULLYING IS NO LAUGHING MATTER’
- YOUNG & OLD IN PICKLES—This week’s featured comic strip in our new Bullying Is No Laughing Matter department is Brian Crane’s Pickles. The Pickles comic strip comes with a free series of “discussion starters” you can use with kids, this week.
- SEE ALL THE COMICS—The homepage of our Bullying Is No Laughing Matter department is your guide to all of the weekly comics (with discussion starters) anda free, colorful “badge” to show you’re part of this campaign.
- JOIN IN THE NATIONWIDE CAMPAIGN—Each week, we’re covering the spread of news stories about this campaign. (If you post something about this comics campaign, let us know and we’ll feature your link as well.)
AND PROVOCATIVE MOVIES
- OUR VALUES this week looks at the “back-to-school” issue of “Banned Books,” which makes headlines nearly every autumn. Once again, some activists are trying to remove books from libraries and school reading lists.
- ALL OUR MOVIE REVIEWS are linked in our Visual Parables main A-to-Z index.
- FEATURE OF THE WEEK—This week, faith-and-film writer Edward McNulty urges you to see the very provocative new movie, Calvary.
- ‘THE GIVER’—Ed says the new movie version of The Giver gets 4.5 out of 5 stars.
- ‘MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT’—Ed says Woody Allen’s latest movie is 4-star fun.
- ‘WHEN THE GAME STANDS TALL’—Ed gives 3.5 stars to this story of a winning team that suffers a big loss.
- AND, WHAT’S UP WITH MYLEY CYRUS? What do you think of her new campaign to highlight the homeless?
HOLIDAYS and FESTIVALS
- ALL THE HOLIDAYS—Tell friends to visit www.InterfaithHolidays.com for our master list of observances.
- SEPTEMBER CELEBRATIONS—Stephanie Fenton covers all the month-long themes including Hispanic and Latino heritage, literacy, women’s friendships and yoga, too.
- LABOR DAY—Test yourself with a challenging 10-question quiz on Faith and Work.
- EASTERN ORTHODOX—A new church year begins.
- ANANT CHATURDASHI—The Ganesh festival comes to a watery end.
- STAR-SPANGLED BANNER—Get ready for this big bicentennial bash!
FOOD FOR BODY & SOUL
- FEED THE SPIRIT—Author Lynne Golodner teaches us to use just a little rice, a few vegetables and spices to produce a delicious “Thermos lunch.”
- DEBRA DARVICK—His Lens / My Pen ends summer with a gorgeous look at light on the waters.
- RODNEY CURTIS—Any parent reading our magazine will enjoy Rodney’s salute to our “kids” and our empty nesters.
- SUZY FARBMAN—“Relationships are complicated,” Suzy writes, sharing a story that will touch many of our readers.
- BILL TAMMEUS—This link takes you to our friend Bill Tammeus’ website, where Bill honors the memory of an amazing Holocaust survivor.