COVER STORY—Religious and health-care leaders joined hands in Detroit, agreeing to collaborate on health care and caregiving. ReadTheSpirit was at the heart of it—and Editor David Crumm reports on this gathering.
- FUEL FOR GROWTH—The No. 1 question from religious leaders is: How can we grow? We asked experts to explain why caregiving is fuel for congregational growth. (You’ll want to share this column with friends!)
- TEN COMMANDMENTS OF HEALTH—Debra Darvick shows how healthful living is central in religious traditions. Learn about her project—Mom’s 10 Commandments of Health.
- 18 AND HOMELESS—Jane Wells writes about a startling case of a homeless teenager—and shares resources to learn more about the challenges facing homeless youth.
Today, we’re proud to launch a new website where long-time columnist and author Heather Jose will be devoting her considerable resources to helping families, congregations and health-care institutions respond more cooperatively to the challenges of cancer. Check it out and sign up for free email updates from Heather.
WHAT GOOD IS RELIGION? Award-winning journalist DAVID BRIGGS is this week’s guest columnist, writing a 5-part OurValues series answering the question: “What good is religion?”
- PART 1: Congregations teach us to give and to receive.
- PART 2: Ask mothers at the margins of society.
- PART 3: Feeling better about our bodies.
- PART 4: Divine support may reduce parental stress.
- PART 5: Faith can be a powerful force in marriage.
‘FREEDOM SUMMER’—Do not miss this stirring, two-hour documentary debuting on PBS this week. On Sunday, the NY Times devoted two pages to coverage of this film. Our faith-and-film writer Edward McNulty has the whole story about Freedom Summer.
- PETE SEEGER—Pete features prominently in Freedom Summer. The Interfaith Peacemakers project has gathered two video clips of Pete that you’re sure to enjoy!
- JOAN BAEZ—Pour a cup of coffee! You’ll love the video clips of Joan Baez featured in Interfaith Peacemakers.
- TOMMY SANDS—And from Ireland … Interfaith Peacemakers brings a story and videos from Tommy Sands.
- CARRIE NEWCOMER—Sing along with Carrie all this summer. Enjoy our in-depth interview with Carrie (with, yes, links to video).
- ALL THE PEACEMAKERS—Here’s the “front page” index to Interfaith Peacemakers.
HOLIDAYS and MORE …
- ALL THE HOLIDAYS—Bookmark our master calendar of religious and cultural milestones.
- RAMADAN BEGINS—This week, the fasting month begins for more than 1 billion Muslims around the world. And, yes, it will affect the World Cup.
- SACRED HEART—On this annual feast, Catholics reflect on the depths of God’s mercy.
- STS. PETER & PAUL—This ancient feast unites Christians in East and West.
- FEED THE SPIRIT—Rabbi “Eli” Finkelman is back! One of our most popular food writers, today Eli is “Stalking the Ordinary Celery”—with a delicious recipe, of course.
- SUZY FARBMAN—She’s loving London and Churchill, once again, honoring friendships past and present.
- RODNEY CURTIS—Like billions of others around the world, our own Rodney Curtis is watching the World Cup. Don’t understand it? Rodney describes this column as Soccer for Dummies.