CHANGING HEARTS, TRANSFORMING CONGREGATIONS
COVER STORY—Author and activist Matthew Vines once was famous for promoting Harry Potter around the world. Now, he’s leading a growing force of gay Christian ambassadors who are changing churches. Read our in-depth interview with Matthew.
ARE CHURCHES CHANGING?
OUR VALUES—In 5 parts this week, the OurValues series “Change of Heart” reports on a wide range of research into changing attitudes among American churchgoers. It’s true, by all accounts: We’re in the midst of a historic shift.
- PART 1: Who says American churches can’t change?
- PART 2: Which religious groups are welcoming gay marriage?
- PART 3: Dramatic change in the world’s largest church.
- PART 4: Who is teaching Americans about gay marriage?
- PART 5: The real crisis churches face.
A NEW APPROACH TO CHANGE: ‘THE THIRD WAY’
Author, pastor and Bible scholar Ken Wilson is leading a national wave of evangelicals calling for immediate welcoming of gay men, women and their families—while, at the same time, refusing to engage in old-style, politically loaded debates on the issue. He calls it “The Third Way.”
- NEWS ROUNDUP—These news items chart how Ken Wilson’s idea is catching on nationwide.
- ‘A LETTER’—Learn about Ken Wilson’s book, which touched off the “Third Way” movement.
- MEET KEN—Read our interview with Ken Wilson.
- VISUAL PARABLES—Visit the front page of faith-and-film writer Edward McNulty’s Visual Parables for all the latest headlines.
- ‘LIFE ITSELF’—Ed says that, if you love movies, you won’t want to miss this documentary about Roger Ebert’s amazing career.
- ‘DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES’—Ed says the latest blockbuster in this long-running series is one of the best!
- ‘CHEF’—Columnist Debra Darvick urges moviegoers go to see Chef before this heart-warming movie disappears from theaters.
- ‘TRY’—Columnist Jane Wells shows us an inspiring new music video about women and self-image called, Try.
FOOD AND HEALTH
- LATEST NEWS ON HUNGER, HOMELESSNESS—Jane Wells’ Bird on Fire website is an ongoing source of news, tips and links for the many Americans trying to combat homelessness, hunger and human trafficking. Here is Jane’s latest news roundup.
- FEED THE SPIRIT SPECIAL GUEST—Food is a vital part of healthy families and communities. Bobbie Lewis’s weekly FeedTheSpirit column shares stories and recipes about these connections. This week’s guest column and recipe come from Christine Gutleben, senior director of Faith Outreach for The Humane Society of the United States.
- SHIFTING PERSPECTIVE—From her yoga mat, Debra Darvick reminds us of the importance of changing our perspectives.
- ENJOY OUR WORLD MUSIC FESTIVAL! You’ll be inspired by the stories and you’ll love the music videos!
- MAHALIA JACKSON—Known as ‘Queen of Gospel,’ she also was a powerful civil rights activist.
- THE FREEDOM SINGERS—Organized in the early 1960s, this Georgia group had a huge influence on the civil rights movement.
- SWEET HONEY IN THE ROCK—Their a capella music is stirring. And their goal is clear: Educate, Entertain, Empower.
- WWI IN SONG—Our series of inspiring stories marking the centennial of this terrible conflict includes this look at music related to World War I and this profile of composer Carl Nielsen.
HOLIDAYS AND MORE
- SUMMER FESTIVALS—Enjoying summer? You’ll love spending a moment with photographer and author Rodney Curtis.
- HOLIDAYS AT A GLANCE—Remember this easy URL www.InterfaithHolidays.com to reach our master calendar.
- JULY THEMES—All month long, our story says, Americans are promoting hot dogs, family reunions and more.
- RAMADAN’S BIG NIGHT—Laylat al-Qadr is celebrated this week by millions of Muslims.
- RAMADAN ENDS WITH JULY 28 CELEBRATION—Dates vary around the world, but more than a billion Muslims are expected to break their fast and celebrate the Eid ul-Fitr on Monday morning, July 28.
- HAILE SELASSI—Rastafarians worldwide celebrate the birth anniversary of the late Ethiopian emperor as the birth of their messiah.
- BRIDGE ANYONE? In her Godsigns column, Suzy Farbman writes that a card game—sometimes is morethan a card game.