Bekoff on ‘rewilding’ (and the pope’s thoughts on pets)
WELCOME BACK scientist and writer Marc Bekoff, best known for his columns and books that share the latest news about research into animal consciousness, psychology and sociology with readers around the world.
- NEW INTERVIEW—Marc talks about his hopes for the passionate new book Rewilding Our Hearts, which invites readers to take simple steps toward rediscovering our natural world.
- THE POPE AND PETS—Marc is one of the leading commentators on human-animal relationships, so Marc agreed to write this column reflecting on Francis’s claim that our beloved pets will be with us in heaven, someday.
A CLARION CALL FOR 2015
This week, as 2015 is beginning, 3 ReadTheSpirit writers bring you 4 stories that proclaim: “Wake up!” These eye-opening stories are:
- NEW (AND VERY OLD)—‘How far the unknown transcends …‘
- NEW FROM GERI LARKIN—What are you trying to sweep away? Look closely.
- NEW IN TRAVEL—Thirty-five reasons we should see Cuba this year.
- NEW ON FILM—How the designer Massimo Vignelli helped us to see our world in new ways.
TO START the new year, sociologist Dr. Wayne Baker asks readers: “What are the striking stories from 2014 that foretell events in 2015? This week we’ll cover five of them, including politics, religion, economy and the family. What’s on your list?”
- PART 1—Hope for any political progress?
- PART 2—If religion declines, what about the future of democracy?
- PART 3—Are we coming to the end of traditional marriage?
- PART 4—Immigration reform, finally?
- PART 5—Freedom or security?
HOLIDAYS & FESTIVALS
START THE YEAR RIGHT! Bookmark our master calendar of holidays and festivals, and tell friends about www.InterfaithHolidays.com for an entire year of fascinating stories, packed with intriguing links and tips from columnist Stephanie Fenton.
- MAKE JANUARY COUNT—Stephanie Fenton reports on month-long themes, including resources for healthy living, a special appeal for blood donations and a campaign for renewed awareness of poverty in America.
- TWELFTH NIGHT—In many cultures, Christmas reaches its crescendo this week. Stephanie Fenton reports on these traditions, including King Cake or in Mexican tradition: Rosca de reyes.
- MAHAYANA NEW YEAR—Many of the world’s Buddhists mark a new year this week.
- EPIPHANY / THEOPHANY—A rich diversity of traditions and customs are observed by Christians worldwide on January 6.
- MERRY CHRISTMAS! Did you know that millions of Eastern Christians across areas of Europe, Asia and Africa will be celebrating Christmas this week?
ARE YOU AN INTERFAITH PEACEMAKER?
YOU CAN HELP! Author and global peacemaker Daniel Buttry shares more than 100 inspiring profiles of men and women who have risked becoming “Interfaith Peacemakers.” Simply read these stories and share them with friends to encourage awareness that peace is possible.
- 2015 PLEA FOR MIDDLE EAST PEACE—This week, Buttry begins a series of inspiring true stories about courageous peacemakers in that ancient region of the world.
- STORIES TO SHARE—Get friends involved this week in learning about Rumi, Cyrus the Great and, if all you know about St. Francis is that he had compassion for animals, then you need to read this story about Francis’s courage during a time of war.
- BULLYING IS NO LAUGHING MATTER—In our comic section this week, we’re featuring one of the world’s most famous anti-bullying heroes: Little Orphan Annie. Start this new year by getting involved with this comics-based campaign to encourage compassion.
FAITH, FOOD, FILMS
AND POPULAR CULTURE …
- FEED THE SPIRIT—What does a Vegetarian Philly Cheesesteak have to do with a love story that circles the globe? Today, FeedTheSpirit host Bobbie Lewis recalls her late father with a story that answers the question.
- FAMILY MILESTONES—At ReadTheSpirit, we truly are a family of writers—as Debra Darvick demonstrates in this column that looks back over her family’s highlights as they enter this new year.
- FAITH GOES POP—Want some guaranteed fun in 2015? Head over to Ken Chitwood’s FaithGoesPop column and bookmark www.FaithGoesPop.com. Ken is one of our most popular writers; you’ll be surprised this year by the connections he discovers in our world.
- VISUAL PARABLES—Faith-and-film writer Edward McNulty urges readers to go see the thought-provoking and suspenseful film The Imitation Game.
- CATCHING UP ON THE BEST MOVIES? Ed McNulty guides you through the long list of terrific films that opened recently. If you’re a film fan, you’ll enjoy reading what he has to say about: Big Eyes (5 out of 5 stars), The Babadook (4 stars), Foxcatcher (4 stars), Wild (4 stars), Annie (4 stars) and Unbroken (4 stars).