MARCUS BORG’S ‘CONVICTIONS’
- COVER STORY The best-selling Bible scholar, Marcus Borg, returns with a very personal book. He’s inviting readers, and small groups, to think about memories, about change and about life’s deepest convictions. Enjoy our in-depth interview with Marcus Borg.
HONORING A PEACEMAKER
- REV. SANDRA KAY GORDON Our ReadTheSpirit family of authors is mourning the loss of one of our own—the courageous peacemaker Sandra Kay Gordon. This week, our Interfaith Peacemakers department is dedicated to memories of Pastor Sandra Kay, the first of our authors “go home.”
ALL HOLIDAYS Visit our master index to religious and cultural holidays: www.InterfaithHolidays.com And this week, we report on …
- FEAST OF ST. COLUMBA Honoring the legacy of the Iona community.
- LAILAT AL BARA’AH Also known by many Muslims as the Night of Forgiveness.
- SUNDAY OF ALL SAINTS The Eastern Christian church celebrates countless saints.
- TRINITY SUNDAY The Western Christian church celebrates its central doctrine of the Trinity.
- FATHER’S DAY Inspiring reading and do-it-yourself ideas for this century-old holiday.
FLAG DAY and AMERICAN SYMBOLS To mark Flag Day on June 14, Dr. Wayne Baker devotes this week’s OurValues series to our attitudes toward national symbols.
- PART 1 Why is this Flag Day so special? (A column including cool, historical links.)
- PART 2 Join the largest “group sing” of the national anthem!
- PART 3 Do you have the Star-Spangled Banner’s missing star?
- PART 4: The worst National Anthem nightmare!
- PART 5: I don’t have the missing 15th star—but I could!
CARING FOR CAREGIVERS
… AND MUCH MORE
WE ARE CAREGIVERS What happens when the caregiver, becomes the care-receiver? New research shows that role reversal creates healthier communities.
VISUAL PARABLES JOURNAL A new June issue of the full Journal is packed with study guides that will spark faith-and-film discussion in your congregation.
- FILM CAPSULES Author Edward McNulty invites readers to share his film capsules. They’re perfect as faith-and-film items in newsletters.
- ‘EDGE of TOMORROW’ McNulty’s movie review concludes: Fascinating science fiction. (4 of 5 stars)
- ‘MUPPETS MOST WANTED’ McNulty says: A funny musical with our beloved friends. (4 stars)
- ‘X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST’ McNulty: A rousing action tale. (4 stars)
- ‘WORDS and PICTURES’ McNulty: Great writing from an Australian filmmaker. (4 stars)
FEED THE SPIRIT A tribute to the wonders of fresh spring asparagus, including a tribute to the liberal souls at Antioch College.
- AND FROM DEBRA DARVIC It’s not always easy “eating green.” (But Debra shares an easy, single-serving ice-cream recipe.)
- FROM RODNEY CURTIS Look! Detroit just got a little greener!
- FROM SUZY FARBMAN Sparking a fire—and finding spiritual wisdom in the ashes.
- FROM JANE WELLS Only a few months until the new Catching Fire: Mocking Jay movie and Jane spots an intriguing video.
- FAITH GOES POP Jane Wells spots an unusually helpful poster with wisdom from a therapist: “I’m just giving you a stick.”