- COVER STORY For the 100th anniversary of World War I, you will be surprised to discover the central role of religion in this conflict that re-drew the map of our world. Read our in-depth interview with historian Philip Jenkins.
- MOVIES AT WAR For this centennial, we are covering some of the major WWI movies that shape our image of the world. Here is our look at the newly restored blockbuster, The Big Parade.
- PEACEMAKERS One of our goals is bringing to light little-known stories about peacemakers in this global conflict. Here are three examples: Profiles of Evelyn Underhill and Jeannette Rankin—and a look at Mark Twain’s famous War Prayer.
PEACEMAKERS MUSIC FESTIVAL
This summer, author and global peace activist Daniel Buttry is organizing profiles of musicians who are making a difference in the world. PLUS these profiles include amazing video clips!
- INTERFAITH PEACEMAKERS This “front page” links to more than 100 inspiring profiles.
- PABLO CASALS He defied Franco and kept on playing.
- LEONARD BERNSTEIN Celebrated the fall of the Berlin Wall with a huge concert.
- VEDRAN SMAJLOVIC See the courageous “Cellist of Sarajevo.”
- VISUAL PARABLES RECOMMENDS God’s Pocket was made just before Philip Seymour Hoffman died, so it’s not surprising that there’s a deep sadness to this movie. (4 of 5 stars)
- X-MEN Also earning 4 stars is X-Men: Days of Future Past.
- WORDS AND PICTURES Look for this unusual comedy about teachers. (4 stars)
- CHEF A “foodie movie” that’s also a great father-son tale. (4 stars)
- ALL MOVIES The front page of Visual Parables includes indexes to all of our reviews and study guides.
HOLIDAYS AND MORE
- ALL HOLIDAYS Visit our master index to religious an cultural holidays: www.InterfaithHolidays.com
- JUNE CELEBRATIONS We report on June’s big month-long celebrations.
- SHAVUOT Jewish families around the world celebrate receiving the Torah.
- PENTECOST Christian families celebrate the “birthday of the church.”
- DEBRA DARVICK In an interfaith exchange, our columnist speaks at a Catholic Information Center.
- FEED THE SPIRIT Bobbie Lewis writes about olive oil—”the elixir of life”—and shares a recipe.
- GREENING OF THE CITY Rodney Curtis reports (and shares colorful photos) from a “hidden garden” in a huge city.
- JANE WELLS A tribute to the late Maya Angelou.