In this time of crisis, we need a new ‘Perspective’
COVER STORY—Psychologist Dr. Robert J. Wicks travels the world helping men and women recover from trauma. In our interview, he shares hard-earned wisdom we all can use, right now.
- BOOK REVIEW—Author Debra Darvick highly recommends this book from the perspective of an American mother worried about her family.
- BRIDGING DEEP DIVISIONS—Psychologist Dr. David Myers examines painful divisions within Islam—and describes four principles that can help all of us bridge deep divisions.
- FAMILIES PASS IT ON—Suzie Farbman writes about a bit of family wisdom about perspective that has passed through generations.
WHY WAIT? Building on one of Robert J. Wicks’ central themes—the need to set aside reflective time in our lives—OurValues columnist Terry Gallagher investigates why Americans just can’t seem to wait.
- PART 1: When did waiting become such a political sin?
- PART 2: How do we decide what to fix first?
- PART 3: Why did Abe Lincoln wait so long to free the slaves?
- PART 4: Know what happens as soon as you quit smoking? You’ve got to see this CDC data.
- PART 5: Do you know how to play Kick the Can?
WORLD WAR I in SONG & SYMPHONY—Peacemaker and author Daniel Buttry turns our summer World Music Festival to reflections on the centennial of First World War. You’ll be inspired—and you’ll enjoy the music videos!
- ‘GREEN FIELDS OF FRANCE’—Begin reading this story about WWI’s legacy and Eric Bogle’s haunting song, “Green Fields of France.”
- CARL NIELSEN—Denmark’s most famous composer was horrified by WWI and poured his emotion into a symphony.
- ERIC BOGLE & GALLIPOLI—You’ll also want to read about (and watch the video) of “And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda.”
- EVELYN UNDERHILL—Learn how this famous Christian mystic moved from supporting war to radical pacifism.
FILMS, FOOD, HOLIDAYS and MORE
- VISUAL PARABLES RECOMMENDS—Faith and film writer Edward McNulty says: Don’t miss the ominous Sci-Fi thriller Snowpiercer.
- FEED THE SPIRIT—Traditional Jewish cooks would use every proper bit of food to feed their families. Ever heard of Gribbenes?
- ALL HOLIDAYS—Save our simple URL www.InterfaithHolidays.com
- CELEBRATING JULY—We look at all the month-long observances.
- OBON—Dates vary widely; and Japanese families are still celebrating.
- TWO SAINTS—The Christian world is big and diverse. Do you know the stories of St. Swithun or St. Vladimir?
- A TRIAL OF THE CENTURY—100 years ago labor activist Joe Hill was sentenced to death.
- IN RAMADAN—Muslims celebrate the Night of Power or Laylat al-Qadr in mid July.
- GENDER ISSUES?
- TERRY GALLAGHER—In the OurValues project, Terry has completed five thoughtful columns on “What’s up with men?“
- JANE WELLS—In Faith Goes Pop, Jane Wells looks at the old claim “Fights like a girl!”
- ‘HUNGER GAMES’—In Bird on Fire, Jane Wells tells readers how to (possibly) get a free book via Goodreads.