- COVER STORY Start your week with us by reading this series of short stories about courageous and talented men and women truly “doing something good for the world.” All of them are united in their hope of healing communities around them.
- OUR VALUES In a special series, Dr. Wayne Baker reports from the first nationwide Positive Business conference at the University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business. This No. 1 school is declaring that goodness—is good business.
- FAMOUS DUO DOING GOOD
- ADAM HAMILTON So appropriate to our theme this week! Every day, we see more readers arriving to enjoy our recent interview with the pastor of the nation’s largest United Methodist church.
- BARBARA BROWN TAYLOR And readers also are eager to read more about “Learning to Walk in the Dark,” in our interview with Barbara Brown Taylor.
- PROPHETS and VISIONARIES That’s the theme in Daniel Buttry’s inspiring series of profiles, by and about peacemakers around the world. This week, we celebrate …
- SIMEON BOOKER With the demise of JET, we celebrate a great civil rights hero—the journalist who used the pages of JET to fuel the movement.
- MICHAEL MORTON This Texas father survived a horrific wrongful conviction and has stepped out of prison with a message of reconciliation.
- MICHELLE ALEXANDER Her provocative book, The New Jim Crow, is challenging all Americans to rethink our racial divisions.
HOLIDAYS, MOVIES AND MORE
- CELEBRATE LAG B’OMER
- THE HOLIDAY COLUMN Holidays columnist Stephanie Fenton reports on the Jewish holiday known for bonfires and picnics.
- FEED THE SPIRIT Bobbie Lewis writes about the family traditions surrounding Lag B’Omer, including a terrific recipe for chicken wings!
- VESAK Holidays columnist Stephanie Fenton reports on the “Birthday of the Buddha.”
- ALL HOLIDAYS Visit our master calendar for all holidays, at a glance.
- SPIDERMAN 2 Faith and film writer Edward McNulty says this special-effects, comic book thriller is wonderful. (4 of 5 stars)
- HEAVEN IS FOR REAL Ed McNulty reports that the “Christian” film is better than he expected. (3 of 5 stars)
- ‘THE MYSTERIES’ 1 Have you read this New York Times review of “The Mysteries,” a six-hour revival of medieval mystery plays about the Bible?
- ‘THE MYSTERIES’ 2 Our own Rodney Curtis checked out the startling six-hour production—and lived to tell the tale.
- WE ARE CAREGIVERS The Rev. Dr. Benjamin Pratt shares wisdom we all can use: “Your body won’t lie. Your mind will!“
- DEBRA DARVICKTelling the story of “Mom’s 10 Commandments of Health” on television.
- JANE WELLS Is there anything we can do, way across the Atlantic, to help the kidnapped Nigerian girls? Sure there is! Read this.
- SUZY FARBMAN In her “Godsigns” column, Suzy tells the story of a blossoming pear tree and an unexpected owl.